How to get a Book Deal from your Blog
You know, although my wife thinks I am the best writer on the planet. I disagree and frankly I could never write a book (and I have no intention to). Dumb Little Man is my oasis from the 9-5 (or should I say the 6am-8pm) and that’s it. However, this entire blogging phenomenon has become a launch pad for dozens of people. As their blog becomes successful, they write a book and reap some hefty rewards.
If you want to learn about the process, the writing queen Penelope Trunk has some advice to consider. Here are her tips and her site offers some back-up to each item. If you are serious, click through and get educated before venturing out on your own. There is nothing worse than ambition wasted due to lack of knowledge.
- Solve a problem
- Have a big idea
- If you’re in a niche, make it a big one
- Have a big audience, but say they are old rather than young if you want a lot of money
- Have a lot of blogger friends to promote the book, but talk mostly about USA Today
- Follow conventions
- Find someone to model yourself after
- Put your blog in the marketing section of your proposal
- Trust that agents know a good proposal when they see one, but try again if you get a bad response
- Use blog comments to train yourself for rejection
How to get a six-figure book deal from your blog by Penelope Trunk at Brazen Careerist