Have you gotten a new computer? Are you dreading having to put all of your bookmarks, one by one, into a new version of Firefox? Or maybe you have just had to replace or re-format your hard drive due to troubles. Whatever the reason, if you are dreading the task or considering just starting over, then fear not. There is an easy way to transport your bookmarks into a new version of firefox, a new computer, or even a different browser. Firefox makes it easy to save a file of all of your bookmarks into an html link. Then, all you need to do is open it in your new computer or browser and follow a few simple steps to get them all back.
Here is what you need to do:
1. If you have any favorites that you can find on firefox’s home screen, or you haven’t bothered to bookmark, take the time to do this first. Make sure you have everything you need before moving on, to save yourself having to do it twice.
2. Click the bookmarks button. When you get there, there will be an option called “Show all bookmarks.” Hit this to open up the library.
3. On the top bar, you will see a tab called “Import and Backup.” You need to hit this and wait for the menu screen to open. Push the option called “Export Bookmarks to HTML.”
4. Save this file somewhere you can easily find it (Desktop is one simple option, then it can be deleted when you’re done). Another option is to put it on a memory stick to bring to your other computer. Click Save once you have chosen the location to complete.
5. Email the saved file to the computer of your choice, or insert the memory stick with the file.
6. If you are transmitting to another copy of firefox, follow the steps above, but choose the “Import Bookmarks from HTML” option this time. Choose your file and there you go.
7. If you are transmitting to Safari, go to the file menu and choose Import Bookmarks. Link to your file and push open.
8. If you are importing to Internet Explorer, open the browser and push Alt. Choose File, then Import and Export, then “import from a file.” Choose your file from its location, follow the steps, and done.
9. Double check that your bookmarks have actually loaded. If not, try again.
Like this Article? Subscribe to Our Feed!
Author: Jay White
I started Dumb Little Man so great authors, writers and bloggers could share their life "hacks" and tips for success with everyone. I hope you find something you like!