Every day, I start my work day by looking at the list of things I planned to do that day. Most times, I’m pretty much on track with meeting goals and deadlines but there days when I look at my list and …nothing… I’m not motivated to do anything I scheduled to do!
I used to hate when this happened because I would waste a lot time doing nothing or I would half-ass the tasks.
So how do you decide what to do when you don’t feel like doing any of it?
1. Needless to say if you have things you have to do in order to meet deadlines or fulfill other pertinent obligations or promises, then you have no choice. Suck it up and get it done! Let the obligation drive you, and reward yourself once you’ve successfully followed through and met your goal.
However, when all things are equal, here are few things you can do:
2. Step away from the list! Maybe you just need a breather. Go outside. Go for a brief walk and take a few deep breathes. Are you coming down with something? If not, reboot and try again.
3. Pluck 2 to 3 items from your big list and make a smaller list. This way, if you don’t get everything done, at least the emotional blow of disappointment won’t be so great! Pick the ones that are either the easiest to do and/or mean the most to you at the moment.
Study these 2 – 3 items. Rediscover why these particular items are on your list in the first place. Reconnect to the feeling you had when you initially thought of them. Start there.
4. Now, sometimes you may not have to liberty to skip over steps because things have to be done in a particular order. In this case, look at your timetable; do you have the time to put these things off? How far off schedule will you be? Is the cost too great? Is there too much at stake to delay? Let the answers to these questions help you to decide if you move forward or move on to something else. Be careful! This practice can be a slippery slope to getting so far behind, it’s impossible to catch up!
5. Create a new list. What’s IS on your mind? What are you thinking or feeling? What is exciting you at the moment? Do this! Sometimes going with what you feel is when and where the magic happens! Don’t be afraid to go with it, trust yourself. As long as the end goal is in line with the overall goal then you’ll be fine!
6. F*ck it! There are just days when you are just not feeling it. It’s probably in the best interest of whatever it was you were going to do, to not do it because it’s just not going to be your best work. So give yourself the day or half a day. Read, relax or study something that inspires you. Just make sure that whatever you do prepares you to be better tomorrow!
7. Maybe, it’s all crap and you just need to start over. If you find that you consistently have to convince yourself to do something you should love, then you probably don’t love it! Start again…Rethink your purpose!
Like this Article? Subscribe to Our Feed!
Author: Robin Oxford-Davis
Robin is a the creator of begintobelieve.com - a prayerful & practical guide to believing in yourself! She's also the author of the ebook How to Begin to Believe!