Cheap Cleaning 101 – Use Baking Soda
Well we have been all over the map talking about cheap cleaning. First it was Vinegar, then Carpet Cleaning tips, and finally Alka Seltzer. Today, we’ll hit on Baking Soda. Those little Arm & Hammer guys know what they are doing because you can refresh a fridge and also clean up a nasty grease spill all for $0.75.
Here are some of the things that Baking Soda can do (from The New Homemaker, but wait, there is more down below!)
- Baking soda can be used to help clean up grease spills.
- To remove burnt food from the grill, sprinkle with baking soda, then soak. After several hours, the charred pieces will come loose easily.
- Lawn furniture can be easily cleaned with a rinse of 1 / 4 cup baking soda in 1 quart warm water.
- The children’s pool can be cleaned and have mildew removed by washing with baking soda in warm water.
- Before packing away your camping gear after a trip, sprinkle with baking soda.
How about some tips from About.com…
- Use baking soda dissolved in water to clean and freshen the inside of your refrigerator.
- For stubborn coffee stains in cups, sprinkle baking soda on the stain, wipe with a damp sponge, and rinse.
- Baking soda is safe and effective as a paste to remove kool-aid and juice stains from kitchen counter tops. (See “How to remove kool-aid stains from counter tops” for step-by-step instructions.)
- Again as a paste, baking soda is great for removing dirt and grime from the inside door of your dishwasher or the drum of your washing machine. (See pictures of my own washing machine before and after cleaning with baking soda.)
Well, from the creators, here are their tips:
What is ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda?
What is the deal with ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda and pH?
What can ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda clean?
What can ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda deodorize?
What does ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda do when you bake?
How can I tell if ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda is still effective for baking?
What is the difference baking soda and baking powder?
Can I substitute ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda for baking powder in a recipe?
Will ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda help keep my Pool water clearer?
How does ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda work as a Fire Extinguisher?
How do I deodorize the drain with ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda?
Can I use ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda to unclog the drains?
How long does ARM & HAMMER® Fridge-n-Freezer® Odor Absorber continue to deodorize in the refrigerator or freezer?
Will ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda work as an Antacid?
What can ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda do to deodorize carpet and upholstery?
How do I test for Color Fastness?
What can ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda do for my Laundry?
See, to save money all you have to do is a little homework. Or, you can wait for us to post it because eventually we will. What tips do you have for frugal cleaning at home? Let us know in the comments or by emailing us.
Hey, want to get a Cleaning-101 feed so you are not bothered with Mark’s tech talk? Here is the link.