Can A DUI Affect You If You Move To Another State?

By Jay White

June 7, 2015   •   Fact checked by Dumb Little Man

If you’ve been convicted of driving under the influence in one state, it may or may not be accessible to the DMV of another state after you relocate. Different states have varying laws that govern how criminal convictions can be accessed and under what circumstances the motor vehicle department is able to access them. A DUI conviction on your criminal record will normally be posted on your criminal record, which most US states now share with one another on a frequent basis.

If your DUI conviction resulted in a drivers’ license suspension, expect the DMV in your new state to access this information and to honor the other state’s license suspension if you have any time left on it. Some states may also require you to complete an alcohol- or drug-abuse awareness course before you’ll be able to apply for a new drivers’ license. This requirement does vary from one state to the next. Some states use a multiple-site shared database for information pertaining to criminal convictions and moving violations for drivers. These states usually treat a DUI in another state as a DUI committed in their own jurisdiction, so you should expect to face any required penalties after you move to the new state.

Some state’s motor vehicle departments will evaluate the specifics of your DUI conviction to determine how it would be penalized according to your new state’s laws. In this case, the outcome may affect your ability to get a license in your new state or to obtain car insurance. This information is also available to most of the major insurance companies that offer auto insurance plans. Some insurers may be willing to extend you car insurance at higher rates, provided you pay more expensive monthly premiums. Most states will usually restrict you from getting a drivers’ license for a mandated time period, though some will allow you to petition for a hardship reprieve due to job or family responsibilities that require you to have a drivers’ license. The process is often a lengthy one, but in many instances it will allow you to drive a motor vehicle again.

Jay White

I started Dumb Little Man many years ago so great authors, writers and bloggers could share their life "hacks" and tips for success with everyone. I hope you find something you like!

Getting Started with Forex

Other Dating Guide

Individual Reviews