10 Things You Can Do to Cheer Yourself Up
Whether you have the winter blues, you’re suffering from a disappointment, or you’re just feeling a little down, we all have times when we could use a little lift. Here are 10 ideas to get you back on the upswing.
1. Plan Some Fun. Get out your calendar. Next do a search for things to do in your area. Local newspapers usually have a “What’s Going On” section. Pick out your favorite 5 or 10 things. And remember the things you choose don’t have to be big events. It can be as simple as taking a long drive in the country or going for a walk on the beach. Write them into your calendar. Invite someone to join you on some. For others go and meet some new people.
2. Express Your Creativity. Do some painting. Decorate your house with flowers. Do a paper mache project. Pick up that guitar, practice and write a song. Practice juggling. Make a funny photo album with all those old photos you’ve got in boxes by adding quirky caption above each picture. Learn how to play the harmonica. Write and illustrate a mini book or comic book. Maybe pick your favorite movie get a friend to act out one of the scenes with you while you videotape it. It doesn’t have to be good. Just doing these things will make you feel good. And if you keep doing them you’ll naturally get better.
3. Get Outside. Fresh air does wonders for your body and spirit. If you can go to a park or a place in nature, even better. Here are some things you could do: go for a walk, fly a kite, plant some vegetables or flowers, roller skate, ride a bike, or go on a ‘treasure hunt” to find things for an art project.
4. Let Music Take You Higher. Turn on your favorite music and sing! Pull down the shades and dance. Rent a video on belly dancing. If you’re in your car, you can still move a little to the music. Go for it! What do you care what other people think? Have fun with it! Sing, dance, play an instrument. Practice your favorite song and then go to karaoke and let the world hear your talent!
5. Walk a Dog. If you don’t have your own dog, offer to walk a neighbor’s dog. Or even better yet, sign up at the local MSPCA to walk the pooches who have no one to love them. What a nice way to make a difference!
6. Volunteer. There are so many ways to help others. Here are a few ideas.
- Feed people. Volunteer at a food kitchen or make your own homemade batch of food and share it with people who could use it: shut-ins, elderly, new mothers, someone who is works too much, etc.
- Help People: volunteer with the Salvation Army, the Red Cross, or Meels on Wheels.
- Mentor. Check out Big Brother/Big Sister, Mentoring.org, or SCORE(mentoring small business start-ups).
7. A Change Will Do You Good. Get some order in your house. Change your furniture around. Change your decorations, or maybe go minimalist for a change. Clear out the clutter. It doesn’t matter where you start. Just pick a place in your home that’s been bugging you and attack it! Then sell, throw, or give away stuff you don’t need. You’ll feel great afterward and you’ll have made a dent in making your living space more peaceful. And maybe it will give you inspiration to tackle another area tomorrow.
8. Plan a Party. There doesn’t need to be a good reason other than it’s time for some fun. Start with a small idea and build around it. Maybe you can get inspired by a theme, certain foods, or your favorite music to get the ball rolling. Then think about who you would like to invite. When and where will you have it? Will you cook, hire caterers, or make it pot luck? A meal or finger foods? Will there be dancing, contests, games, or other fun stuff like costumes? Maybe it will be low key with some jazz music, wine and cheese. Or maybe it will be a Hawaiian luau. Or maybe if you have a lot of singe friends you can have a white elephant party. Call a friend for help with the logistics.
9. Personal Spa and Relaxation Day. Include as many of these ideas as you like or have time for. Get a massage, pedicure, and haircut. Take a bubble bath with candles, music and champagne. Give yourself an egg-white or mud mask facial. Line up 2-3 movies to watch in bed while eating your favorite delights: ice cream, chocolate, whip cream, jello, popcorn, finger food hors d’oeuvre, and more. What else would you include to pamper yourself?
10. Reach Out. Connect with friends and family. When was the last time you wrote and mailed an actual letter? Why not do it today? Or how about making some home made post cards with materials you have lying around the house. Cutout some pictures from magazines or from your photo collection and make a mini collage. Maybe just call one old friend from college or high school that you haven’t talked to in forever. Or maybe you could visit a neighbor who might need some cheering up too! Bring some cookies!
What’s your favorite way to ditch the blahs and cheer yourself up? Please share!! We’d love to hear from you!!