10 Link Building Strategies That Deliver
Link-building strategies form, without a doubt, the backbone of any successful SEO and organic reach. But in the complexity of choosing the best methods, how do we know which ones work best?
In this article, we have chosen 10 of the most effective link-building strategies that can actually improve your site’s ranking and conversion.
- Find link-worthy content
You don’t have to reinvent the wheel when it comes down to content creation. Find something that already ranks high in your industry and find low competition keywords on Google.
2. Make something better
Look at the top ranking content and make yours better by adding up to it. Set new standards by improving existing content with more relevant and up to date information.
3. Reach out to the right people
Spread the word about your content but make sure you approach the right people in the right way. Reach out to people who have already linked similar but older content. Refer to that specific link as your inspiration. Don’t be “pushy” and give them the idea that your content might be an interesting update.
Moving man link-building strategy
The essence of this strategy is to find resources in your industry which have shut down, moved URLs, are no longer active, have gone out of business or rebranded. Reach out to sites linking those resources.
- Find these ‘dead’ resources by simply searching for keywords that describe your industry.
- You can add your competitors’ website to Linkody and it will notify you when the landing page goes 404.
- Reach out to the sites that link to these resources. Inform them about the absence of the link and suggest replacing it with yours.
Add links that send your audience to your competitors
Yes, you read that right.
Should you link out to your competitors? Absolutely.
By linking out to similar pages as yours, it does not specifically shift your audience to that website. On the contrary, it actually builds trust and liability to your website and creates loyalty among visitors.
This is because you understand the meaning of quality and go to great lengths to provide it. The other great part is that Google detects the topics of your content, which can improve your site’s ranking.
Infographic link-building strategy
This will be a treat to those of more creative ideas.
It is no secret that visual aids are more appealing than long, complex or boring articles. This is why infographics are not rare among websites. They are a lot better than custom-made or animated graphics in terms of attracting more traffic to your site.
- First, you need to choose a ‘trending’ topic in your market.
- Secondly, the infographic has to be visually appealing and innovative. Remember that your infographic should not contain too much information and that it’s easily digestible.
- Then, approach sites who are interested in your content and offer to write a guest post with your infographic.
- You can also use Google Reverse image search to find where competitors’ infographics are posted and contact those platforms directly. You can also post your infographics on your social media channels and submit them to sites like Reddit. They will send targeted traffic to your website directly.
Don’t roll your eyes yet.
We live in a world where ‘real time’ experiences and virtual relationships have become a reality. Subconsciously, we tend to prefer the advice of an influencer over infomercials and commercials because they are relatable and familiar.
To use this strategy, here is what you have to do:
- Find bloggers/influencers in your niche who might be interested in your offer.
- Google keywords that describe your industry and filter out the big news sites. You should be left with a list of bloggers.
- In reaching out, be very careful with the language you use. You want to compliment them on their content, offer to send out your product, and ask them to mention your page.
HARO (Help A Reporter Out)
Easy, effective, and evolving.
Here is how to make the best use of HARO:
Step 1: Sign up to HARO (search for the homepage by the full name).
Step 2: Look out for emails from HARO. You should be receiving 3 mails per day. Check the keywords (they might include your niche).
Step 3: Don’t wait and respond directly with some creative ideas/tips and add your credentials and links.
Expert roundups will include your link into a list of ‘best of ’ from bloggers writing about your niche. Here is how to utilize this strategy:
1. Find expert roundups in your area by searching ’your keyword’ + best of/’your keyword’ + roundup etc.
2. Reach out to the person doing the roundup by writing an email and asking to include links to your content or adding your answer as well.
3. Make sure you compliment them on their work and mention you would be privileged to be included in a roundup.
The poster boy method
Share your experience by writing an incredible success story using a tool or a product of the industry you’re interested in. Flattering a company is one thing but a positive, legit testimonial is something that every company looks for and can benefit both them and you.
Create a post that is undoubtedly inspiring and share it with the company. They might include your story on their pages, press releases, and even interview you for their page.
Create video tutorials
Branded, high quality, and great content videos work time and time again. They tend to send traffic your way long after you have published them and generate views every day.
- Make sure to provide a link back to your blog at the end of your videos, making it easy to find more of your content or more in-depth information.
- Share your videos on forums relevant to your niche. Add keywords and promote your videos on your other platforms and watch the views grow!
Create a free tool/give away a free product
Our final strategy includes giving a tool for free. Who doesn’t like free stuff?
A while ago, we did exactly that. We created a free backlink checker and now it’s one of the most linked content: All you have to do is make sure the product/tool is:
- Good quality
- Includes links to your page
- Provides information about your page
- Explains why you give away ‘free’ stuff
We hope these link building strategies made it to your list. Test them and share your experience with other people aspiring to rank high in Google.