Ways to Cure your Hangover
Chicago Bears play, which is a miracle because that was a long time ritual every Sunday.
So, with no drinks, I have no hangover problems. But, something tells me that you Dumb Little Man fans are not as innocent. With the weekend and holidays coming up, here are some great ways to lose your hangover.
- Drink Buttermilk. (ughh) It will calm you stomach and add badly needed liquid into your system. That is, if you can keep buttermilk down hungover.
- Ginseng tea is given to relieve the effects of alcohol. This may be the practice, but there is no reason to believe ginseng will help.
- Reduce the amount of sugar you consume while drinking. The boosted metabolism of sugar AND alcohol will accelerate the depletion of B vitamins and make your hangover worse.
- Drinking homemade Sauerkraut juice, the solution in which the cabbage was fermented in, in the morning (a staple hangover remedy in Serbia, called rasol)
- Greasy food is a fairly effective remedy, though not as effective as “preemptive strikes” like the aforementioned Ibuprofen at night.
- Going for a swim in cold water feels painful, but often helps to manage the headache.
- “The hair of the dog”. a.k.a. drink more. Well liked and effective, but this is more of a procrastination tactic, as a hangover is basically alcohol withdraw and you’re just prolonging your inebriation.
- Have sex. First of all: easier said than done hungover. Second of all: oh, wait, ’sounds good other than that first thing. This gets your blood pumping and will release endorphins which are natural painkillers and mood-enhancers. See exercise below.
- Drinking Coke or Pepsi. (The “Black Aspirin” or “Red Ambulance”) the caffeine, bubbles and sugar can be easier to hold down than pure water (or buttermilk). Sugar partially compensates the inhibition of the gluconeogenesis.
- Drinking pickle juice, the solution in which cucumbers were pickled, in the morning (a staple hangover remedy in Russia and Poland). It is sometimes suggested to add honey to the solution.
- Eating some Asparagus before bed. Asparagus is a diuretic and these only compound the problem.
- Eating whole jalapeños. This will certainly wake you up.
- Pedialyte. This contains more electrolytes than almost any over-the-counter drug. This will help you re-hydrate your body as quickly as possible.
- Eating mineral-rich foods, like pickles or canned fish.See buttermilk, above. Gross.