2 Easy Ways To Prevent An Itchy Scalp: Complete Guide 2023
Ever felt intense itching on your scalp? Don’t worry you’re not alone. According to a recent study, it is a relatively common skin condition that plagues approximately 25% of the world’s population. An itchy scalp can be a symptom of serious skin or autoimmune conditions.
Before your scalp itchiness leads to dandruff, hair loss, or other more serious skin conditions – you must understand & address the potential causes behind your itchy scalp.
After that, you can get relief from your scalp itches by using the right hair products & getting the best treatments.
Table of Contents
What Causes An Itchy Scalp?
Dandruff is the most commonly known cause of scalp itching. But, according to a recent, medically reviewed study, the most common cause for an itchy & flaky scalp is a skin condition called seborrheic dermatitis.
Seborrheic dermatitis (SD) is a skin condition affecting the body’s regions containing oil-producing glands. Our scalps contain many of these glands. So, SD affects the scalp & causes it to become dry & itchy. Here are some other common causes of the itchy scalp:
- Improper haircare practices: e.g., frequent hair washing with shampoos that contain chemicals)
- Head lice: parasitic insects that live in human blood)
- Contact dermatitis: itchy rash caused by allergic reactions to certain substances
- Scalp ringworm: a type of fungal infection, also known as tinea capitis
- Hives: outbreaks of itchy rash & hives tend to spread to the scalp)
- Scalp psoriasis (50% of people with scalp psoriasis also experience itchy scalp)
- Atopic dermatitis: a form of eczema that specifically affects the scalp & causes intense itching
- Actinic keratoses (solar keratoses): dry, itchy & scaly patches of the scalp caused by sun damage
- Scalp pruritus: a skin condition that’s similar to seborrheic dermatitis and scalp psoriasis
Allergic reactions to skin or hair products can also cause an itchy scalp.
Symptoms To Look Out For
Treatment of itchy scalp depends on the symptoms patients experience. In addition to intense scalp itches, the most concerning symptoms of itchy scalp include:
- Thick, greasy, & scaly patches on the scalp
- White flakes appearing in the hair or on clothing
- Eggs of head lice in the hair
- Red rash, hives, or pus-filled bumps on the scalp
- Difficulty sleeping due to severe itching & irritation
When To Know If Your Scalp Itch Is Serious?
Mild cases of itchy scalp can be easily managed at home. But, patients must explore professional treatment options & over counter drugs for treating this condition if:
- Healthcare providers & medical professionals are unable to diagnose your itchy scalp
- The number of itchy spots on the scalp has kept increasing for over 2 weeks
- You’ve experienced significant hair loss
- Your doctor suspects you have atopic dermatitis, scalp dysesthesia, or some other serious condition
- Your doctor suspects the itchy scalp is caused by a chronic autoimmune disease
- Antifungal shampoos, prescription medication, self-care practices, etc. haven’t reduced any of the symptoms
Thankfully, there are several proven ways to prevent your itchy scalp from becoming a serious health issue. In fact, there are proven ways to ensure that you never get an itchy scalp.
2 Ways To Prevent An Itchy Scalp
There are two proven ways to protect your sensitive scalp from dryness & itchiness .
1. Consuming supplements that boost your scalp health from within.
2. Using products to externally boost your scalp health.
We’ll also discuss some natural remedies that you can try at home to treat your scalp itchiness. But first, let’s explore these supplements & products in detail :
Best Supplements for Preventing Itchy Scalp
1. Top Consumer’s Choice: Restolin
Restolin is one of the most widely used & highly-rated supplements for preventing hair loss & itchy scalp. It’s packed with 17 natural ingredients. They include Vitamins C and E, pine bark, & Essiac tea complex. These ingredients combine to address all the underlying deficiencies causing itchiness in your scalp.
Taking one or two Restolin pills a day will give your hair follicles all the nourishment they need to maintain normal hair growth. The stronger your hair follicles, the lower the risk of you developing an itchy scalp.
2. Best Overall Hair Supplement: HairFortin
Are you dealing with an intensely itchy scalp, head lice, dandruff, and other hair/skin conditions simultaneously? Then you need a supplement that can address all these issues. HairFortin does precisely that. Each HairFortin capsule is packed with 28 plant extracts and vitamins to treat head lice and other issues.
It also contains anti-inflammatory ingredients like Paniculata, Biotin, Selenium, & Fo-Ti which combine to treat the root causes of your hair loss & itchy scalp issues. Regular HairFortin use is guaranteed to give you healthy and strong hair.
3. Most Popular Health Supplement: Divine Locks
Divine Locks Complex is an extremely popular all-natural dietary supplement that promotes hair growth. It can also be helpful in treating scalp itches because it contains anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory ingredients. These ingredients can strengthen your hair follicles.
Getting healthier hair by consuming these easy-to-consume tablets will also fix your itchy scalp. Multiple board-certified dermatologists have conducted FDA-approved on this product & they’ve confirmed these benefits.
4. Best for Hair and Scalp Care: Folital
Folital pills come packed with all-natural ingredients that can nourish and regenerate your damaged hair follicles. It also contains ingredients like Bentonite Clay, Psyllium Husk, & Flaxseed that stimulate hair follicles & promote the growth of healthy hair. This supplement targets the root causes behind itchy scalp-related issues. That’s why Folital is on this list.
5. Best Natural Ingredients: Revifol Hair Loss
Revifol is a hair loss prevention supplement that’s super-popular in the vegan community. This all-natural product contains vitamins and minerals that inhibit the release of certain enzymes in the hair. Doing so, it preserves the DHT levels in your hair.
This hormone is the main cause of baldness & in some cases – dry & itchy scalps. Revifol also contains Pantothenic acid, Zinc, Vitamin B6, Biotin, & various other ingredients that can give enrich your body’s keratin structure.
6. Best Practical Choice: Folexin
Folexin is a hair-regrowth dietary supplement. Healthcare providers often use Folexin as a prescription medication for alopecia patients. It makes sense for people with dry scalp to try this product because it’s easily available & pretty risk-free. It only contains harmless, all-natural ingredients like Biotin, Fo-Ti, Nettle Root, Barley Grass, Plant Sterols, etc.
>>Related Article: 9 Best Hair Growth Supplements and Vitamins in 2022
Natural Itch Relief Techniques
Sometimes, something as simple as not drinking enough water can cause your scalp to dry up. So, before you consider seeking professional treatment options, try out these at-home treatments & solutions:
- Hydrate your body properly
- Apply coconut oil, tea tree oil, or olive oil to your hair
- Put Aloe Vera topically to your scalp
- Mix olive oil & baking soda and apply the mixture to your dry & itchy scalp
If these remedies don’t work, you’ll have to use some special anti-itch shampoo products. Here are your options:
Best Shampoos That Relieve Scalp Itch
1. Top Consumer’s Choice: Dry Itchy Scalp Remedies
Dry Itchy Scalp Remedies by Mia Wadsworth isn’t an anti-dandruff shampoo – it’s an eBook. But it deserves top spot in this list because this eBook is the ultimate source of information on how to treat scalp problems.
It’s been read by tens of thousands of people across the globe. Its popularity is down to the fact that the book only features natural strategies for treating itchy scalp, hair loss issues, & persistent dandruff.
If you want to master the art of chemical-free scalp care, this comprehensive eBook is a must-read for you.
2. Best for Removing Itchy Buildup: Wow Hair Shampoo
This anti-dandruff shampoo and conditioner combo comes packed with ingredients like avocado and coconut oil that restore moisture to the scalp. The WOW Hair Shampoo and Conditioner is a must-use for people suffering from scalp pruritus, scalp dysesthesia, & other skin conditions that cause dead cell buildups in the hair.
This organic, anti-dandruff treatment product will instantly nourish your scalp & make it less itchy.
>>Related Article: 13 Best Shampoos for Dry Scalp of 2022 According to Hair Experts
We’ll all face dry & itchy scalp-related issues at some point in our lives. Thankfully, there’s a variety of natural remedies, supplements, & hair care products that can help us tackle these issues with ease.
Restolin is one such supplement that has taken the hair care market by storm. Its unique formula has proven to be ultra-efficient at preserving & boosting scalp health. So, if you’re considering using a supplement to treat your hair/scalp-related problems – consider doing what thousands have done & use Restolin.
Understanding the science behind itchy scalps is also a super-effective way of treating & avoiding this condition. So, do read Dry Scalp Itch Remedies. It’s the most comprehensive source of information on scalps issues.
Itchy Scalp FAQs
Can stress cause an itchy scalp?
Yes. Stress raises the levels of certain hormones in the body which in turn negatively impacts our hair & scalp health.
Which autoimmune diseases cause an itchy scalp?
Dermatomyositis, lupus, and Sjögren syndrome are some autoimmune diseases that cause scalp itch.
Can shampoos prevent head lice?
Shampoos that contain dimethicone can prevent head lice. This ingredient can suffocate and kill head lice.
Like this Article? Subscribe to Our Feed!
Author: Vanessa Richards
Vanessa is a mom of 3 lovely children and a software geek. Outside of her career as a health and wellness instructor. She enjoys writing and researching on topics such as finance, software, health and culinary.