9 Best Melatonin Supplements • Top Sleep-Aid Supplements of 2023
Occurring naturally in the human body, melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland during the night. Your body’s circadian rhythm is regulated by it.
In other words, it decides the response of your body’s natural clock over 24 hours. It contributes to you getting a whole night’s sleep.
To induce better sleep, several people across the globe recently started taking melatonin. Artificially created versions of the hormone are used as sleep aids.
In the USA, melatonin supplements are categorized under dietary supplements. Thus, you can buy them as OTC drugs. They aren’t regulated as heavily as prescribed medications are.
These supplements help raise your energy levels and make you more productive by helping you sleep well. They, therefore, help raise your performance levels as well.
Melatonin supplements are available in different forms and dosages. We have picked the ones we feel are the best melatonin supplements for your complementary and integrative health.
Read on for the details.
Table of Contents
Best Melatonin Supplements in 2022
- Top Consumer’s Choice: Now Melatonin Supplements
- Top Challenger: Nature Made Melatonin
- The Tastiest Melatonin: Now Liquid Melatonin
- For Occasional Sleep Support: Olly Sleep Gummy
- The Most Potent Melatonin: Carlyle Melatonin
- The Perfect Melatonin Supplement for Sound Sleep: Natrol Melatonin Fast Dissolve Tablets
- Easy to Take Chewable Melatonin Tablets: MidNite Drug-Free Sleep Aid
- The Best Liquid Melatonin: Benevolent Natural Melatonin Liquid
- Best For a Relaxed Sleep: Solgar Melatonin
9 Best Melatonin Supplements: Detailed Insights
#1. Top Consumer’s Choice: Now Melatonin Supplements
The NOW Melatonin Supplement is a solid median dosage. They come at 5mg while other supplement capsules come in the range of three to ten milligrams.
If you need melatonin in small amounts, this product is ideal as being capsules, they are easy to divide. Had they been chewable or liquid, dividing doses would’ve been cumbersome.
NOW Supplements help you fall asleep early. The product is NPA-A rated GMP certified which means that its manufacturing process has been examined.
The product also contains an amino acid that contributes to more sound sleep. NOW Supplements ensures that you wake up the next day refreshed brimming with energy.
- Easily soluble in water. There’s no need for flavored liquid or gummy.
- They aren’t a larger melatonin dose compared to the other supplements. Therefore, a variety of body types and tolerance levels are covered.
- Since they are in capsule form, reducing the dosage is easy.
- It doesn’t contain additives like gelatin or sugar, which often have an animal product content.
- If you hate oral medication, you might find it hard to swallow.
- This melatonin supplement can be addictive.
#2. Top Challenger: Nature Made Melatonin
The Nature Made Melatonin 3mg tablets feature a smaller dose. As such, they fall under the market’s lower end of dosage size.
Containing 240 fast-acting tablets, these come in very economical bottles. They are very effective and you can double the dosage if you need to.
If you need to reduce the dosage, you can easily divide the tablets. Each of these tablets helps you to fall asleep faster inducing deep sleep.
They are just the perfect medicine to treat sleep disorders containing valerian root. The Nature Made Melatonin 3mg tablets are free of drugs and gluten.
These tablets work very effectively and you sleep undisturbed every night. The next morning you wake up feeling fresh and full of energy.
- Considering its price, it’s an incredible deal.
- Adjust dosage levels to find out what works for you the best in improving sleep quality.
- Smaller pill size makes them easier to swallow.
- Being a natural product, it’s perfect as a dietary supplement.
- If you are sensitive to calcium, you may have issues with this product as the pills have 65mg of calcium extra.
- They are chalky and fall apart on the tongue.
#3. The Tastiest Melatonin: Now Liquid Melatonin
Coming in at number 3 on our list is the NOW Supplements Liquid Melatonin. This product helps boost natural melatonin production in your body.
NOW Supplements Liquid Melatonin is counted among the most effective melatonin supplements as it takes quick action. It has NPA-A rated GMP certification.
It implies that the product’s manufacturing process has been thoroughly examined.
You can trust this product for its stability and potency. The product comes from a family-owned business operating since 1968.
Taking this product ensures that you get sound sleep and there are no feelings of grogginess the following morning. It helps a lot in you leading a healthy and happy life.
- One of the tastiest melatonin supplements.
- It has the NPA-A rated GMP certification which is a testimony of a good manufacturing process.
- It has a stable and potent formula.
- Known for its quick action as effective sleep medicine.
- The product may trigger addiction and dependency.
- Contains artificial colors.
#4. For Occasional Sleep Support: Olly Sleep Gummy
Meant for adults, each Olly Sleep Gummy contains 1.5 mg of melatonin. You need to take two gummies each time for the recommended dose of 3 mg of melatonin per serving.
These melatonin gummies contain a potent mix of L-Theanine and Botanicals including Chamomile and Lemon Balm. It boosts melatonin levels and helps you get sound sleep.
Containing flavors like Blackberry and a bit of mint, these gummies are gluten-free. They help you strike the perfect balance in your sleep-wake cycle.
Ideal as a dietary supplement, they contain just the right amount of melatonin per serving to promote good sleep. OLLY Sleep Gummies contain no artificial flavors.
Bringing about a natural rise in your melatonin level, these gummies make sure that you have a sound sleep. The product helps you live a positively enriching life by waking up fresh every morning.
- Made with a potent formula that helps regulate sleep cycles effectively.
- Helps boost melatonin levels naturally.
- A quality melatonin supplement with just the right amount of melatonin.
- Ideal as a dietary supplement.
- It may cause drowsiness occasionally.
- You may get addicted to it.
#5. The Most Potent Melatonin: Carlyle Melatonin
Among the best melatonin supplements, Carlyle Fast Dissolve 12mg Melatonin is the strongest. These are just perfect for those suffering from chronic insomnia.
These are non-GMO tablets that contain no gluten, artificial flavors, or soy. Each tablet packs enough punch per serving for a sound sleep.
Despite being strong, the tablets come with the perfect melatonin content. Carlyle Melatonin is ideal for those taking melatonin regularly.
The strong action formula makes Carlyle Melatonin perfect for those suffering from jet lag. If most melatonin supplements haven’t had the desired results, this product is the one to fall back on.
If you have a serious problem sleeping well, Carlyle Melatonin helps you no end ensuring that you sleep well. It’s your key to having a healthy life with a happy balance between sleep and activity.
- Coming at a heavier dose, this product is ideal for those with serious sleep disorders.
- The tablets dissolve fast once consumed. Hence, they work faster.
- Perfect for those having issues swallowing pills since these are small.
- They contain no soy, gluten, artificial flavors, or GMO.
- As it’s a strong medicine, the effects might feel severe.
- Being small, the tablets can’t be broken for a lower dose.
#6. The Perfect Melatonin Supplement for Sound Sleep: Natrol Melatonin Fast Dissolve Tablets
Natrol Melatonin boosts your immune system by ensuring that you sleep well. It gives you a sharper mind ensuring balanced moods.
The product is free of any drugs and it’s also non-habit forming. Therefore, you have the liberty of taking these tablets whenever you need some sleep.
Natrol Melatonin tablets are vegetarian and they have a fast dissolve formula. It ensures faster absorption.
You can have these tablets anytime, anywhere as you need no water to take them. Natrol Melatonin, by helping improve your sleep enhances your beauty and boosts your mood and immunity.
Natrol Melatonin is your perfect friend in helping you sleep better every night. Good sleep puts you in the right frame of mind to take on life.
- Boosts the immune system through better sleep quality thereby improving overall health.
- It contains no drugs and isn’t addictive.
- The fast dissolve formula ensures better absorption and quicker action.
- Gives you a sharper mind and boosts your mood.
- May not be suitable for those with serious sleeping issues.
- Some may find it too mild.
#7. Easy to Take Chewable Melatonin Tablets: MidNite Drug-Free Sleep Aid
Each tablet of MidNite Drug-Free Sleep Aid contains 1.5 mg of melatonin per serving. These tablets are perfect to improve sleep quality.
The tablets contain a blend of chamomile, lemon balm leaf powder, and lavender that help induce sound sleep. Take a tablet up to three hours before you plan to wake.
The drug-free formula makes sure that taking these tablets doesn’t become a habit for you. You won’t feel any grogginess the next day either.
These chewable tablets are vegetarian and they contain no gluten or lactose. The tablets help strengthen your sleep foundation by striking at the root of sleeplessness.
Many healthy adults opt for melatonin tablets over sleeping pills containing antihistamines that hamper the body’s natural rhythm.
MidNite Drug-Free Sleep Aid tablets help supplement the production of the naturally-occurring hormone, melatonin. Hence, it helps you a lot if you have trouble staying asleep.
- Perfect for getting a sound sleep.
- Has a natural formula with chamomile, lavender, and lemon balm leaf with no side effects.
- It’s not addictive and doesn’t cause grogginess the next day.
- Helps boost melatonin production in the body.
- Might be too mild for those with serious sleep issues.
- Not effective when you seek relief from jet lag.
#8. The Best Liquid Melatonin: Benevolent Natural Melatonin Liquid
The Benevolent Melatonin Liquid needs to be taken beneath your tongue. It’s a liquid formula with a raspberry and vanilla flavor.
The liquid dissolves in your mouth quickly and it contains no sugar, alcohol, or gluten. Since it’s a liquid, you can have the exact desired dose.
You can take 1mg per serving which shall make the liquid last for 177 days. Alternatively, you may also take 3mg per night so the liquid lasts for 59 days.
This liquid is used most commonly for supporting circadian rhythm. The liquid contains even less than 1 gram of carbohydrates per 1ml making it keto-friendly.
The product is manufactured at a GMP and Kosher-certified facility under stringent quality standards. It contains no genetically modified organisms.
The herbs it contains like valerian root are grown organically or imported selectively. They are ethically wild-harvested as well.
This product is made from natural ingredients and as such, it has negligible side effects. The product is very effective indeed in inducing sound sleep so you feel fresh every morning.
- Controlling the dosage is easier because the supplement is liquid-based
- Containing herbs grown organically, the product is registered as organic under FDA.
- It’s perfect for parents and caregivers who need to administer melatonin to kids or older people in controlled doses.
- The gluten-free product is manufactured under strict quality control.
- Natural flavoring gives it a decent taste; however, some may still find it unpleasant.
- May cause unwanted side effects.
#9. Best For a Relaxed Sleep: Solgar Melatonin
Solgar Melatonin is perfect for those suffering from sleeplessness occasionally. It also works for those experiencing jet lag.
The product works on your natural sleep cycle. Solgar Melatonin 3 ensures that you get a tranquil rest every night feeling refreshed and rejuvenated the next day.
This gluten-free product contains no artificial flavors, yeast, wheat, sugar, sodium, soy, color, or sweetener. It’s suitable for those who prefer a vegetarian diet.
The finest raw materials go into the making of Solgar Melatonin 3. The product is perfect for good sleep which helps keep your blood sugar levels stable.
A lot of research has gone into making this product. It thoroughly deserves its place in our best melatonin list.
This product works wonders in helping you sleep soundly every night. It raises your productivity levels by many notches making you a far better performer.
- Ensures a tranquil sleep.
- It’s gluten-free and contains no artificial flavors or sweeteners.
- Suitable for vegetarians.
- Helps maintain stable sugar levels.
- May not work if you have serious sleeping problems as it’s a bit mild.
- It May cause slight grogginess.
How We Rank the Best Melatonin Supplements
Ideally, a sleep-inducing supplement should ensure undisturbed sleep every night. It is also to be ensured that the side effects are minimal and they cause no long-term harm.
We chose only those products that function properly. How did we decide which were working fine?
The ideal supplement should cause slight drowsiness for around 30 minutes. This should also ensure a night of sound sleep.
When you wake up the following day, you should feel no grogginess and suffer no headaches. That’s a sign of your melatonin supplement working well.
While your product may not be a prescription medication, we still suggest that you consult your doctor before taking one. It’s important that you receive professional help regarding how much melatonin you need.
Avoid melatonin supplements as much as you can. Try getting natural sleep.
Many still vouch for melatonin supplements for good sleep. We still urge you to avoid taking one as long as you can and stay melatonin safe.
There are melatonin supplements approved by third-party testing entities. We have also referred to healthcare professionals’ review articles.
Apart from conducting our own research, we compiled information from various sources. We collated all the available information and inputs to come up with this list.
We also considered the ff:
We considered the dosage levels and ease with which doses could be divided. 3-10 milligrams is the usual range for a melatonin supplement.
Since individual bodies react to the supplements differently, controlling the dosage became an important factor.
How to administer the supplement was another important consideration. It decides how well you can control the dosage.
We checked liquids, gummies, and tablets and found that each one of them has certain benefits.
Additives and Ratings
Apart from the basic ingredient of melatonin, these supplements include various other substances as well. We preferred those that didn’t include GMOs, gluten, or chemical additives.
Customer reviews and ratings were also taken into account. Positive customer reviews and high ratings are proof of a certain product being effective.
How to Choose the Best Melatonin Supplements
How you react to specific substances before taking them regularly matters when you choose a supplement. That’s why we suggest that you seek professional medical advice.
Professional medical advice can help you know if melatonin will work well for you. You can also know if it will clash with other medications.
There might be a bit of hit and trial involved in the process of choosing the sleep supplement that works best for you. You may need to combine one with another.
Also, you may need to tweak the doses until you reach the perfect balance. Doing so is the easiest when you choose a liquid supplement administered by a pipette.
Finding the right sleep supplement is crucial to making sure that you sleep well every night and wake up fresh the next morning.
Here are certain things to check for in supplement brands.
Melatonin shall be the main ingredient in all melatonin supplements. Having said that, several supplements contain other things including vitamin D or calcium.
Make sure that you check the labels carefully before buying. After all, you should be absolutely sure about what you are taking.
Whether Parsing Doses is Possible
Irrespective of what dosage you select, if the original proves ineffective, you must be in a position to try multiple supplements.
Alternatively, you should be able to discontinue a few supplements in case they are too strong.
If you choose the right supplement, you can keep changing until you find the right one.
Conclusion: Best Melatonin Supplement
These days, most healthy adults struggle to get good sleep due to stress. Not getting enough sleep can hamper your daily activities greatly.
We recommend the use of Now Supplements for getting back the good night’s sleep and enjoying an energetic and productive life.
Sleeping well is a must for a healthy life. It helps you focus on your work making you more productive. Good sleep also improves concentration and makes you more attentive.
Now Supplements is the sleep coach that helps you get a good night’s sleep. It’s a high-quality supplement that promotes a healthy lifestyle by ensuring enough sleep.
You’ve only got to be a bit careful before using Now Supplements to ensure that they don’t trigger food allergies. Before you start taking the supplement, you should consult your healthcare provider.
Now Supplements indeed work well in dealing with sleep-related issues. They help in extended-release melatonin that helps you wish “goodnight” with joy.
Healthy and proper sleep translate into a happy and joyful life. You take on the world with a newfound zeal and confidence.
Best Melatonin Supplements FAQs
What is a melatonin supplement?
Melatonin supplements are natural or synthetic supplements that help promote restful sleep. The main function of melatonin is to maintain the circadian rhythm- the body’s internal clock. Melatonin is a hormone produced by the brain’s pineal gland.
What are the benefits of melatonin consumption?
Consuming melatonin helps when you are struggling to sleep well every night. These supplements are safe if taken for short periods. Melatonin is effective in curing delayed sleep phase and disorders in the circadian rhythm.
Does melatonin have any side effects?
Melatonin does have side effects. The common side effects are dizziness, nausea, and headache. If the side effects persist, the supplement should be discontinued.
Who Should Avoid Taking Melatonin?
Melatonin might aggravate bleeding In those with bleeding disorders. It may increase depression in patients suffering from it. Melatonin may also raise the blood pressure of those taking medicines to control it. Hence, we urge all to consult a doctor before taking melatonin.
Like this Article? Subscribe to Our Feed!
Author: Vanessa Richards
Vanessa is a mom of 3 lovely children and a software geek. Outside of her career as a health and wellness instructor. She enjoys writing and researching on topics such as finance, software, health and culinary.