As the president of a nutritional supplement company, I often deal with guys who want to look like Dwayne Johnson in “The Scorpion King.”
They ask, “How do I get the massive biceps, V-shaped torso, and chiseled abs like that macho movie star shows off in (insert popular action movie title here)?”
I’ve got bad news, guys. There’s no fast or easy way to turn your body into a superhero’s in a safe, long-term way. When I say “safe,” you know what I mean. There are no magic pills that will help you shed fat around your waist and turn flab into Kevlar pectorals without a ton of work on your part.
These products often communicate false promises to men, starting with a get-ripped-fast guarantee. The bottom line is that men shouldn’t take harmful supplements in the name of striking a double-biceps pose on Venice Beach. Men of all types and ages should use discretion when deciding which supplements to buy and use.
Stay Away from the Five
Not all supplements are created equal. So, which supplements should men avoid when trying to build a fit, healthy body? Here are five ingredients that men should stay away from when choosing a healthy supplement regimen:
1. Anabolic steroids: When was the last time your best friend or workout partner told you he wished his breasts were larger and his testicles were smaller? Never? That’s what I thought. Those are just two destructive (and weird) side effects men experience when taking anabolic steroids. If the supplement you use includes any form of anabolic steroids, walk away to prevent the man boobs.
2. Testosterone: Some men suffer from low testosterone. This is a medical condition that affects as many as one in four men. In these cases, men should consult a physician about treatment.
Men with normal testosterone levels shouldn’t add more to their bodies. In the long term, it won’t help you get ripped. In fact, it’s going to help you damage your liver, lower your sperm count, enlarge your prostate, and, yes — grow large breasts. Good times!
3. Human growth hormones: Men should stay away from any supplement with ingredients that affect hormone levels. HGH might help you hit a few more home runs if you’re lucky enough to play Major League Baseball, but it will also earn you a lifetime ban from the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Wait, there’s more! Supplements that affect hormone levels can alter a man’s memory and cognitive levels. HGH won’t delay aging or boost muscle mass like you want. Instead, it will slowly deteriorate core functions of your mental processes. Stay away from any supplement that messes with your hormones — unless you want to forget where you parked your car on a regular basis.
4. Ephedrine: You’ve probably heard of ephedrine because it’s often advertised as a supplement that will help you lose weight quickly. Therein lies the rub. Remember how I already mentioned that supplements promising overnight results are bogus? Ephedrine is a supplement that fits nicely into the “harmful and bogus” category. Taking ephedrine as a weight-loss drug can result in severe problems, including the development of an irregular heartbeat, seizures, strokes, or, even worse, death.
5. Ingredients that act like ephedrine: The side effects of taking ephedrine are so serious that men should investigate all unknown ingredients in supplements that produce the same results as taking ephedrine. Unfortunately, some companies change the molecular structure of their products so they can sell them legally. These newly formed ingredients work the same way and result in the same harmful consequences that come with ephedrine.
Keep It Simple
In addition to these five harmful ingredients and supplements, men would be wise to stay away from products such as energy drinks, low-quality multivitamins, and sleep aids. Although it may seem these products will help you gain energy and stay healthy, they often have the opposite effect over time.
Men who are focused on using supplements to build a healthy body and lifestyle should consider products that include fish oils and other natural ingredients. Powdered greens are a great way to get more healthy vegetables in your diet and aid your immune system, and some supplements will help decrease inflammation after workouts. When it comes to building a healthier body, it’s better to keep things simple and natural.
Building and maintaining a healthy body requires that men not only choose the right supplements for their unique profile, but it also demands a commitment to taking them routinely. It simply isn’t enough to pop a few pills here and there and expect to see results.
I could tell my customers to take steroids and HGH if they really wanted to bust a few veins and look like The Rock. But that’s exactly the wrong way to use supplements and build a healthy body. Be smart and evaluate supplements closely and carefully. Choosing the right ingredients can lead to a balanced and healthy body — even if it won’t guarantee you a lead role in the next action flick.
While you are thinking about exercising and bulking up be sure you check out these 3 Fun Workouts You Can Do At Home.
|Written on 9/9/2013 by FX Marino. FX Marino is the President of IgY Nutrition. IgY Nutrition’s mission is to help athletes perform radically better and provide them with a safe, effective, and legal way to compete at the highest level with IgY Recovery Proteins. To learn more about IgY Nutrition and IgY Recovery Proteins, check out their website and Twitter.|
Photo Credit: mjzitek.