The only problem is, launching a business and running another personal development blog is seriously time-consuming work!
But when you’re passionate about what you do then time just flies and your productivity is not something to worry about… but passion alone is not the only thing you need to ensure you’re productive 100% of the time.
I’ve developed a productivity hack that has seriously changed the way I work and has made me get about twice as much done as I previously would have.
In fact, I’m so confident in this approach and I love it so much that I believe it could be the number 1 productivity hack that will change your life!
The Number 1 Productivity Hack That Will Change Your Life
You know what the beauty is about this productivity hack?
Not only will you will get more done of your actual work… but you will also get more done of your housework or any other bits and bobs that you need to get done. In fact, to take it a step further, this productivity hack will even keep you super-hydrated throughout the day!
Introducing the number 1 productivity hack that will change your life:
Yes, a timer.
But it’s no ordinary timer, oh no!
It’s your oven timer.
Why the oven timer?
Because oven timers generally produce irritating alarms when the timer gets to 0.
And it’s how you use the timer that matters.
Let me explain.
The Number 1 Productivity Hack in Action
The thing is, productivity can’t really be sustained for too long as our concentration and focus tends to drift after about 30 minutes to an hour.
What I’ve found works extremely well are 30 minute power blocks.
Note that this is specifically for those that work from home, but it can easily be adapted to those working in an office environment.
Here’s a simple 7-step formula for ensuring maximum productivity throughout your day.
1. Set a goal that you want to achieve in a 30-minute period. Make sure the goal is achievable, but also make it stretching so you know you have to work hard to get it done.
2. Go to your oven and turn the timer on for 30minutes.
3. GET TO WORK! Spend 30 minutes just focused on that one goal. Don’t let any distractions get to you. That means no TV, no telephone, no interruptions from co-workers or other stakeholders. This 30minute power block is for you to smash out your goal.
4. After 30 minutes, you’ll hear the annoying timer on the oven. Get up, go to your kitchen and turn it off.
5. While you’re in the kitchen, drink a good glass of water.
6. Spend 5 minutes doing a house chore or another personal activity that you need to get done (note, that this needs to be a personal activity and NOT work… otherwise you’ll be blurring the line between work and personal activities).
Now, I can hear you asking why on Earth would I set the oven timer instead of just my computer or phone timer?
There are two primary reasons behind this:
1) The oven timer normally produces a more irritating alarm
2) It forces you to get up out of your seat and away from your work station
This method will NOT work as well if you simply use your phone alarm or your computer. The process of having to get up and go to your kitchen is so fundamental to this process. It also allows you to stay hydrated by ensuring you get a good drink of water every half hour.
How I have used this process to smash my productivity rates
Personally, I have used this process over the last few weeks, each and every day to smash my normal productivity rates.
I generally do 3 or 4 power blocks in a row before having a longer break for morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, gym session and dinner.
For each of these sets of 3 or 4, I would dedicate this time to one project.
For example, I would dedicate my first 4 power block sessions in the morning to working on The Start of Happiness. In fact, that’s what I’m doing right now.
After morning tea and through to afternoon tea, I would dedicate this time to business development.
In the afternoon and through the evening I would dedicate this time to business admin or other miscellaneous activities I need to get done.
To help make it work for you, let other people know.
If the telephone rings during your power block, they can leave a voicemail and you can simply get back to them on one of your longer breaks.
The key to this productivity hack is to have a clear goal that you want to have achieved within a 30 minute window. This will allow you to stay focused and get into the zone, or ‘flow’ as many like to call it.
I’d love to hear how this works for you.
Please leave a comment and let me know if you try this. I want to see productivity rates get smashed all around the world!
|Written on 8/28/2013 by Brendan Baker. Brendan Baker is a serial entrepreneur, performance coach and starter of happiness. He currently runs three businesses all related to helping others reach financial, career or personal success. He has helped over 1,000 individuals live a better life through his Change Your Life program and you can visit him at his personal blog - The Start of Happiness.|
Photo Credit: Mo Riza