The 5 Most Common Obstacles That Keep You From Reaching Your Goals
Let’s take the example of starting an Internet business as our model to see how to overcome your obstacles. Here are 5 of the most common ones you may come across while seeking your goal:
- Too much information. You’ve read the books, taken the teleclasses, and studied the websites. You’re on information overload, so you go into analysis paralysis. Which means you do nothing. Solution: Pick one person to study and go with that model. One of the earliest Internet success stories was Corey Rudl, and after he died, Derek Gehl took over. So if I were building an Internet business, I could choose him as my role model, and read his website, his ezines, buy his products, and take his courses.
- No clear plan. Many people get lost after they decide to pursue a certain goal. Most goals are merely a progression from where you are to where you want to be. You need a clear plan from A to Z so there’s no guesswork. Solution: Derek Gehl, for example, has a 30-step action plan that can keep you on course.
- Shortage of time, money, or other resources. We often are enthusiastic about achieving a certain goal, but fail to do our homework before embarking on the course. Solution: Before you set out on your goal, figure out the amount of time you will need to put into this, the costs you will incur, and the resources you will need to obtain and use. For our particular goal of launching an internet business, these could include software for auto responders, shopping carts, and eBooks, a copywriter to write your sales page, and at least 2 hours a day to learn the specifics of online marketing.
- Mindset and attitude. If you don’t have the mindset and attitude of a winner, you have less chance of succeeding. Solution: Find successful online marketers and study them. Talk to them. Listen to their language. Adopt the mindset of success by thinking and speaking positively. Adopt the attitude of success by seeing obstacles as opportunities and setbacks as feedback.
- Lack of support or guidance. You may hit some roadblocks and get stuck, not knowing what to do next. On any journey, support and guidance are essential. On a road trip, it’s your map or GPS system. For an online business it’s experienced marketers. Solution: find a mentor, coach, teacher, friend, joint venture partner, anyone who will hold your hand, guide you, support you until you reach your goal. Then you can celebrate together!