Our friends at the Thrifty Mommy blog have compiled a list of 50 Ways to Save Money on your Grocery Bill. Despite the fact that I already knew most of the tricks on the list, the fact remains that I still have not put them into practice. Yes, we have a case of not practicing what I preach.
So here is my solution. Realizing that I am a compulsive read-it and forget-it type of person, I am going to pick 5 tips from their list and I am going write them down. I will then staple that list to my grocery list so that I have a physical reminder of the things I want to implement.
Here's my 5:
- 4) Go alone. You know you’ll spend more if the husband and kids are with you.
- 11) Look below eye level. Usually the cheaper brands are on the lower shelves.
- 19) Pay attention to the banners/signs above each aisle. Avoid aisles that don’t have something on your list. I’ve been trying this one lately. It seems to be working for me.
- 32) Look your cart over before you leave to make sure you’re not being excessive with your purchases. Do your kids really need a bag of chips, pretzels, and Doritos?
- 41) Know what you have. How many times have you bought a jar of Miracle Whip, but already had a jar at home? Miracle Whip doesn’t have a long shelf life.
While they are all good tips and while many will say they are common sense, they are worthless unless you use them!
50 Ways to Save Money on your Grocery Bill by Thrifty Mommy.
Photo: Carlosluis on Flickr