I wish we could only discuss happy topics on Dumb Little Man but let’s get realistic – bad things happen. I am passing on a large list of resources that one of our readers sent in. She just went through a divorce and she had 2 major issues (aside from the divorce itself).
First, she went into the divorce with absolutely no knowledge.This cost her a ton because attorney’s had meetings to discuss the meetings where they would explain things to her. Guess who pays that bill?
The second issue was that “90% of the sites on these topics are spam sites or attorney’s trying to get a piece of the action.”
So, if you find yourself in this predicament, here are the resources that one woman found useful.
- 10 steps to a money-smart divorce
- Managing Divorce from the Start
- Divorce and Your Finances – The 7 Most Costly Mistakes
- The do’s and don’ts of getting divorced
- Who gets what? It depends on where you live
- Keeping Divorce Civil – Chicago Tribune Article
- Womens Divorce.com – ton of information
- Irresponsible ex not paying joint debt
- 5 Ways to Financially Prepare for a Divorce – Military.com
- The Complete Guide to Protecting Your Financial Security When Getting a Divorce (this is a book)
- Alimony payments can affect both parties
- Post Divorce Financial Checklist
- Divorce Net – ton of information, state-by-state
- American Bar Association – Division for Public Education – PDFs